Friday, October 23, 2009

MISSION: Pumpkin Pie

I have always had a desire to make a pumpkin pie from scratch. From a really wonderful regular orange pumpkin. I don't think Arthur was as excited about it, but being as amazing as he is, he took on the challenge with me.

First lesson learned in the process...There is a difference between a regular pumpkin and a pie pumpkin. We got very acquainted with the local produce stand by the time we had finally acquired everything needed.





The initial excitement...



But that started to dwindle after
separating the seeds
cooking
scraping
burning the hands
pureeing
remembering that we needed a pie crust for a pie
lots of unhealthy ingredients added
getting sick of the color orange
it took hours...



But such fun hours! I'm glad we are both so optimistic. A comment starting with "Oh dear..." or "We forgot..." would just end with gales of laughter. Then the delightful end! Mature and complete, not lacking anything.



Makes me think about relationships.
The initial excitement and delight just knowing each other. Exuberantly happy, starry-eyed, little kid on tip-toes looking at a candy jar kind of excitement.

Then time continues and there are little changes. You forget the need to be courteous about everything, it feels just normal to be together, and perhaps even gets to challenges and disagreements.

But time continues still and you learn to appreciate the whole experience as your relationship becomes mature. And even laugh at the mistakes.

2 comments:

  1. I just love reading what you blog! You have such a wonderful way with words! I'm so glad you've decided to revive your blog! Looks like the pumpkin pie was a huge success despite the mishaps ;) Wish Jeremy and I could join the too of you and steal a couple slices of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arthur is soo lucky to have been able to cook with you. I'm making a vegan pumpkin pie this monday! I hope mine turns out like yours!

    ReplyDelete